In my endless quest for covers of A Whole New World I ordered a bunch of CDâ€™s each containing a different take on Alan Menkenâ€™s score. Many of these CDâ€™s are older and so have a delivery time of several weeks. I intend to review each CD as it comes in.
- Pure Movies 2 by John Tesh
- Bibbidi Bobbidi Bach by Delos International, inc
- The Magical Music Of Disney by Erich Kunzel and Cincinnati Pops Orchestra
- Country Stars, Disney by various country singers
- Disney Meets Jazz Gil Goldstein
Itâ€™s no secret that many Disney melodies sound very operetta/classical like Aladdin has at least two â€œThe Kissâ€(2) and â€œJasmine Runs Awayâ€ I thoroughly discussed in the past. It was only a matter of time before someone â€˜classifiedâ€™ some well known songs.
Released by classical music label Delos comes Bibbidi Bobbidi Bach conducted by Donald Fraser. Bibbidi Bobbidi Bach is the sequel to Heigh Ho Mozart released in 1996. Both CDâ€™s are covers of Disney melodies in the style of classic composers like Beethoven, Chopin, Bach and others Iâ€™m not familiar with. Because of that it was sometimes difficult to recognize the original melody in the classical piece. For example Kiss the Girl in the style of Sibelius stretched the song from 2.42 to 5 minutes to me it sounded nothing like Alanâ€™s calypso upbeat song from 1989. And because itâ€™s a fast passed song it doesnâ€™t lend to be â€˜classifiedâ€™ at least not in this style. On the other hand their take on a Vaughan Williams version of Just Around the Riverbend is great and reconcilable. By far the most beautiful piece Lady and the Trampâ€™s Bella Notte in the style of Satie.
I can go on discussing every instrumental piece but I wonâ€™t simply because itâ€™s music and music is to listen to not to write about. I will do â€œA Whole New Worldâ€ which the main reason I spend â‚¬ 25 for this CD. Thatâ€™s pretty expensive for a ten year old album. Anyway Aladdinâ€™s theme song is composed in the style of Chopin; most of you probably heard some of his melodies. I know my music teacher made us listen to classic records at High school including Chopin I believe. The booklet mentions that the albums arrangement by Donald Frasier that their take was inspired by four of Chopinâ€™s.
The opening follows Alanâ€™s Melody closely with strings, flute and French Horns then the piano takes over for most of the piece. A little over halfway drama comes in the form of strings playing the melody before returning to piano for the finale. With itâ€™s exactly 6 minutes long A Whole World Chopin style in the longest track on the album.
- Whistle While You Work – (Beethoven)
- Give A Little Whistle – (Haydn)
- A Whole New World – (Chopin)
- Lavender Blue (Dilly Dilly) – (Faure)
- Just Around The Riverbend – (Vaughan Williams)
- Chim Chim Cher-ee – (Pachelbel)
- The Siamese Cat Song – (Falla)
- Some Day My Prince Will Come – (Berlioz)
- Circle Of Life – (Gregorian Chant)
- So This Is Love – (Debussy)
- Kiss The Girl – (Sibelius)
- Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo – (Bach)
- You’ve Got A Friend In Me – (Bernstein)
- Bella Notte – (Satie)
- The Ballad Of Davy Crockett – (Copland)